Back to School Health Tips
August 09, 2017
With the start of the new school year just around the corner, the Florida Department of Health in Orange County (DOH-Orange) wants every child to achieve academic success. That success is strongly linked with health and classroom attendance.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, health-related factors such as hunger, physical and emotional abuse, and chronic illness can lead to poor school performance.
Dr. Kevin Sherin, Director and Health Officer for DOH-Orange stated, "Your child's school health includes optimum physical health and dental health, but it is even more. We want our school children to be emotionally healthy and resilient as well."
To ensure your student is prepared and ready to learn each day, here are important health tips:
- Get Vaccinated.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. After drying your hands, turn off the water with the towel.
- Covering your cough/sneeze.
- Keep extra tissues and hand sanitizer with you.
- Eat healthy and start the day with a good healthy breakfast.
- Drink lots of water.
- Get some form of daily exercise.
- Get enough sleep.
- Stay home when sick.
- Avoid tobacco products, caffeine and sugary drinks.
- Strengthen your child's emotional health.