COVID-19 Precaution Reminders
March 20, 2020
As a reminder to residents, the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the COVID-19 virus. The Florida Department of Health always recommends everyday preventive actions to help impede the spread of respiratory diseases, including:
- Social Distancing – stay within six feet of other people;
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Staying home when you are sick and avoiding contact with persons in poor health;
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands;
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then disposing of the tissue;
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing;
(If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty); and
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
What To Do If You Get Sick
If you get sick with a fever (100.4°F/38°C or higher), cough, or have trouble breathing:
- Seek medical care. Call ahead before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room;
- Tell your doctor about your recent travel and your symptoms;
- Avoid contact with others.
If residents are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath, they should first call their healthcare provider. They can also contact the Florida Department of Health's dedicated COVID-19 Call Center at 1-866-779-6121. The Call Center is available 24/7 and was established to answer general questions residents and visitors may have.
- Residents can also send questions via email at COVIDemail@example.com;
- For additional information, visit the Florida Department of Health’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage at www.FloridaHealth.gov/COVID-19;
- The Florida Department of Health in Orange County (DOH-Orange) has established a Coronavirus Call Center phone number for Orange County, Florida residents. The phone number is 407-723-5004. The DOH-Orange Call Center is available Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote, and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, and community efforts.