FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH IN ORANGE COUNTY CELEBRATES WORLD HEART DAY
September 15, 2021
Orlando, FL – To bring awareness of cardiovascular disease and prevention, the Florida Department of Health in Orange County celebrates World Heart Day on September 29, 2021. This year’s theme is “Use Heart to Connect.”
According to the World Heart Federation, heart disease and stroke is the world’s leading cause of death claiming 18.6 million lives each year. 1 Here in Florida, approximately two out of ten deaths are from heart disease. 2 Stroke and heart disease, along with other cardiovascular disease, are among the most widespread and costly health problems facing the United States today.
All Americans are at risk for cardiovascular disease, but the non-Hispanic black community, particularly those in the southeastern United States, have a greater risk. More than half non-Hispanic black females and males had some form of cardiovascular disease, including heart disease and stroke. 2 Risk factors for heart disease are high blood pressure, high cholesterol and smoking.
Remember, with cardiovascular health, many factors that cause an early death can be controlled through lifestyle changes.Each day strive to protect your heart and the hearts of those you love.
Creating a healthier Florida through lifestyle changes including:
- Visits with your doctor to talk about your heart health.
- Eating healthy by cooking heart healthy meals.
- Walks with your family and encouraging your friends to walk with you.
- Steps to quit smoking by utilizing Tobacco Free Florida’s Quit Your Way Program.
Taking these actions can contribute to the prevention of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks and strokes throughout Florida. Visit www.worldheartday.org to find out what you can do to take part in this year’s World Heart Day, as well as www.floridahealth.gov/stroke and www.flhealth.gov/heart to learn more about stroke and heart attack resources.
About the Florida Department of Health
The department, nationally accredited by the Public Health Accreditation Board, works to protect, promote and improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
- World Heart Federation. Heart disease and Stroke. Retrieved from https://world-heart-federation.org/
- Florida Department of Health. Heart Disease. Retrieved from http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/heart-disease/index.html