832 W. Central Blvd
Orlando, FL 32805
A new federal law requires you to have a certified copy of your birth certificate to renew your license. Many people don't have a certified copy of their birth certificate. A birth certificate with your footprint, or a plain black and white copy, is not certified birth certificate. Only parents, legal guardians, or the person whose name appears on the certificates, if they are at least 18 years of age, can receive a birth certificate.
A computer generated birth certificate that contains a State File Number and embossed seal is accepted as the official certification of birth and is recognized as such by all agencies. A computer copy of birth certificates of all Florida births from 1917 to the present are available for a cost of $15.00 for each certified copy. Additional computer copies for the same person are $8.00 each.
Obtaining a Birth Certificate
You may use one of four secure, convenient, and fast ways to acquire a birth certificate:
- -IN PERSON – Walk in same day service is available at our Central office on 807 West Church Street, Orlando FL 32805. Any of the following are required for identification: valid State Driver's license, ID card, Passport, or Military ID.
- BY MAIL - you may use the application form provided here: Birth Certificate Application (PDF 160KB). A copy of your driver's license or ID card, front and back, must also be attached with the application.
Mail application to the attention of Vital Statistics at 832 West Central Blvd, Orlando, FL 32805 (please send a self-addressed stamped-envelope to return your certificate to you).
Make money orders or cashier's checks payable to Vital Statistics. Personal checks are not accepted at this time.
- BY CREDIT CARD ONLINE - you can go to VitalChek or call 1-866-830-1906. Your certificate can be received by regular mail or express shipping by the next day in many cases.
Please Note: "Florida Department of Health in Orange County does not accept online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, VitalChek, or by phone at 1-800-255-2414. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®."
Frequently Asked Questions
If I come to your office during your hours of operation, can I receive my birth certificate the same day? Yes, in most cases you will only have to wait 10 to 15 minutes to receive your birth certificate.
- What is your turn around time on mail requests? It is up to 6 working days. USPS First-Class mail is not tractable by Vital Statistics and therefore cannot be guaranteed.
- What if I was born in or currently reside in another state? Contact VitalChek at or by calling 1-866-830-1906.
- Does the birth certificate application need to be notarized before mailing it to your office? No, there is no need to have the birth application notarized. Just send us a copy of your up-to-date state driver’s license or state identification card, along with your application and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- How do I order a birth certificate by fax? The Florida Department of Health in Orange County Vital Statistics office does not process fax orders.