832 W. Central Blvd
Orlando, FL 32805
We are currently issuing Florida Death Certificates from 2009 to the present for all Florida Counties. The cost for each certified copy is $10.00. Additional copies for same person are $5.00.
In Florida, any person of legal age may order a Florida Death Certificate without Cause of Death.
A Florida Death Certificate with Cause of Death is confidential by Florida Law and may only be issued as follows:
- To the decedent's spouse, parent, child, grandchild, or sibling (if 18 years of age or older).
- To any person who provides a "Will" that has been executed pursuant to state statute 732.502; an insurance policy or other document that demonstrates his or her interest in the estate of the decedent;
- Or to any person who provides documentation that he or she is acting on behalf of any of the previously mentioned persons.
- Fifty (50) years following the date of death, "Cause of death" becomes public information and anyone may obtain a Death Certificate with this information. Any time period prior to the fifty years, "cause of death" is considered confidential by Florida law.
Obtaining a Death Certificate
You may use one of four secure, convenient, and fast ways to acquire a death certificate:
IN PERSON - same day service available at our Vital Statistics office located at 807 W. Church St. Any of the following is required for identification: valid State Driver's license, ID card, Passport, or Military ID.
BY MAIL - you may use the application form provided here: Death Certificate Application (PDF 64KB).
A copy of your driver's license or ID Card, front and back, must also be attached with the application. Mail application to the attention of Vital Statistics at 832 West Central Blvd Orlando, FL 32805 (please send a self-addressed stamped-envelope to return your certificate to you).
Make money orders or cashier's checks payable to Vital Statistics. Personal checks are not accepted at this time.
BY CREDIT CARD ONLINE - you can go to VitalChek or call 1-866-830-1906. Your certificate can be received by regular mail or Fed-Ex next day in many cases.
Please Note: "Florida Department of Health in Orange County does not accept online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, VitalChek, or by phone at 1-800-255-2414. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®."
All other records for the state of Florida may be obtained through the State Vital Statistics Office by calling 904-359-6900 or in writing to: Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I walk in and get a death certificate at any of your locations? No. Death certificates can only be obtained at 807 W Church St, Orlando, FL 32805-2211.
- If I come to your office during your hours of operation, can I receive a death certificate the same day? Yes, in most cases you will only have to wait 10 to 15 minutes to receive a death certificate.
- What is your turn around time on mail requests? It is up to 6 working days.
- How do I obtain a death certificate for another state? Contact VitalChek at VitalChek or by calling 1-866-830-1906.
- Does the death certificate application need to be notarized before mailing it to your office? No, there is no need to have the death application notarized. Just send us a copy of your up-to-date state driver’s license or state identification card, along with your application and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- What years do you have certificates available for purchase for deaths? We have death certificates for the years 2009 to the present.
- Are there any restrictions on who can request a death certificate? Yes, see the requirements for obtaining a death certificate (PDF 64KB).
- How do I order a death certificate by fax? You will need to go to VitalChek for information on placing a fax order. You may contact VitalChek at 1-866-830-1906. If the death is prior to 2009, contact the State Vital Statistics Office.